6 cups Chicken Broth
3 tablespoons Olive Oil (divided)
3/4 of a pound of Shiitake Mushrooms (thinly sliced or baby Shiitakes whole)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup minced red onion or shallots
1 ½ cups arborio rice
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken broth to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over high heat. Add in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until nicely browned, 7 – 8 minutes. Remove them from the pan and set them aside for now.
- In the same skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté the shallots or onions for a minute or two and then add in the rice. Toast the rice in the olive oil for about 3 to 4 minutes until golden.
- Pour in 1 cup of the simmering chicken broth in with the rice, stirring constantly. Once the rice absorbs all of the liquid, reduce the heat to medium and continue adding in broth 1/2 cup at a time until all 6 cups of chicken broth have been added in and absorbed. Stirring consistently will help the rice cook evenly. It should take about 30 minutes to add the entire 6 cups of chicken broth.
- Once all the liquid has been used, stir in the mushrooms, the butter, and the parmesan. Taste, and salt and pepper to taste.